Hounds Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Granny's Chicken and Pastry

3 posters

Go down

Granny's Chicken and Pastry Empty Granny's Chicken and Pastry

Post  C.Hound Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:04 pm

This is a southern dish. I usually double the recipe and make a big pot of it to have left overs for the next day. This is one of those things that tastes better the second day. You can use the frozen pastry strips. The it tastes better to me if you roll out your own pastry.

3-4 lb. chicken
1 cup chopped celery
6 cups water
2 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp. salt
Pepper as desired

Put the chicken and celery in the 6 cups of water and boil about 30-45 minutes until done. Do not skin the chicken. Remove chicken from liquid and allow to cool. Meanwhile mix the pastry. Sift flour, pepper and salt into mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the broth from the boiled chicken into the flour and mix with a fork until a stiff dough forms. Place on floured surface and knead slightly. Roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into approximately 1-inch strips and drop into the boiling broth. Do not let the broth stop boiling while adding the pastry strips. After putting in the last piece, stir very lightly. Let cook on low heat for 15 min.
C.Hound
C.Hound

Back to top Go down

Granny's Chicken and Pastry Empty Re: Granny's Chicken and Pastry

Post  OT Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:25 pm

C.Hound wrote:This is a southern dish. I usually double the recipe and make a big pot of it to have left overs for the next day. This is one of those things that tastes better the second day. You can use the frozen pastry strips. The it tastes better to me if you roll out your own pastry.

3-4 lb. chicken
1 cup chopped celery
6 cups water
2 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp. salt
Pepper as desired

Put the chicken and celery in the 6 cups of water and boil about 30-45 minutes until done. Do not skin the chicken. Remove chicken from liquid and allow to cool. Meanwhile mix the pastry. Sift flour, pepper and salt into mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the broth from the boiled chicken into the flour and mix with a fork until a stiff dough forms. Place on floured surface and knead slightly. Roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into approximately 1-inch strips and drop into the boiling broth. Do not let the broth stop boiling while adding the pastry strips. After putting in the last piece, stir very lightly. Let cook on low heat for 15 min.

Sounds good, but needs garlic. I put garlic in almost everything. Love the stuff.
OT
OT

http://www.just-art-posters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  C.Hound Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:33 pm

OT wrote:
C.Hound wrote:This is a southern dish. I usually double the recipe and make a big pot of it to have left overs for the next day. This is one of those things that tastes better the second day. You can use the frozen pastry strips. The it tastes better to me if you roll out your own pastry.

3-4 lb. chicken
1 cup chopped celery
6 cups water
2 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp. salt
Pepper as desired

Sounds good, but needs garlic. I put garlic in almost everything. Love the stuff.

I've tried it in this, but it gave it kind of a weird taste. Not bad, but not grandma's either. lol
C.Hound
C.Hound

Back to top Go down

Post  OT Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:48 pm

C.Hound wrote:
OT wrote:

3-4 lb. chicken
1 cup chopped celery
6 cups water
2 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp. salt
Pepper as desired

I've tried it in this, but it gave it kind of a weird taste. Not bad, but not grandma's either. lol

And that is something you can't argue with either.
OT
OT

Back to top Go down

Post  C.Hound Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:28 pm

Nope, can't argue about grandma's cooking. lol
C.Hound
C.Hound

Back to top Go down

Post  OT Sat May 01, 2010 10:51 am

C.Hound wrote:Nope, can't argue about grandma's cooking. lol

My favorite were her cookies. Very Happy
OT
OT

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulip Sat May 01, 2010 4:31 pm

3-4 lb. chicken
1 cup chopped celery
6 cups water
2 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp. salt
Pepper as desired

My husband is a very good cook, I was just discussing this recipe with him.

I grew up eating my grandma's chicken and dumplings. We were discussing the difference in dumplings, noodles and this recipe. Interesting how the fat in the broth must keep the flour together. Using no eggs or fat added to the flour for the dough. Bet you need a really fat chicken for this dough to work correctly? Smile
Tulip
Tulip

Back to top Go down

Post  C.Hound Sat May 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Tulip wrote:

3-4 lb. chicken
1 cup chopped celery
6 cups water
2 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp. salt
Pepper as desired

I grew up eating my grandma's chicken and dumplings. We were discussing the difference in dumplings, noodles and this recipe. Interesting how the fat in the broth must keep the flour together. Using no eggs or fat added to the flour for the dough. Bet you need a really fat chicken for this dough to work correctly? Smile

I really have no clue what hold it together. I just know with that recipe it works. However some people do put and egg or two (not sure how many it would take) in the pastry. I've tried it with skinless chicken and it seemed to effect the flavor, for the worse in my opinion, more than anything else.
C.Hound
C.Hound

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulip Sat May 01, 2010 6:02 pm

C.Hound wrote:
Tulip wrote:

3-4 lb. chicken
1 cup chopped celery
6 cups water
2 cups plain flour
3/4 tsp. salt
Pepper as desired

I really have no clue what hold it together. I just know with that recipe it works. However some people do put and egg or two (not sure how many it would take) in the pastry. I've tried it with skinless chicken and it seemed to effect the flavor, for the worse in my opinion, more than anything else.

I like fat chickens. I like rich broth. So this recipe sounds good to me.

I would want to use a fat chick.
Tulip
Tulip

Back to top Go down

Post  C.Hound Sat May 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Oh yea, it's great with a big greasy hen.
C.Hound
C.Hound

Back to top Go down

Post  OT Sun May 02, 2010 7:56 am

C.Hound wrote:Oh yea, it's great with a big greasy hen.

I always skim off the fat.
OT
OT

Back to top Go down

Post  C.Hound Sun May 02, 2010 1:15 pm

OT wrote:

Chicken. Razz
C.Hound
C.Hound

Back to top Go down

Post  OT Sun May 02, 2010 2:37 pm

C.Hound wrote:
OT wrote:

Chicken. Razz

Yep and trying to be heart smart to. On my diet I just gotta.
OT
OT

Back to top Go down

Post  C.Hound Mon May 03, 2010 10:08 am

OT wrote:
C.Hound wrote:
OT wrote:

Chicken. Razz

I should, but lack the will power.
C.Hound
C.Hound

Back to top Go down

Post  OT Mon May 03, 2010 10:16 am

C.Hound wrote:
OT wrote:
C.Hound wrote:
OT wrote:

Chicken. Razz

I should, but lack the will power.

Now who's the chicken??????????
OT
OT

Back to top Go down

Post  OT Thu May 13, 2010 11:39 pm

Well I may be getting a little soft in my old age, especially around the middle. But that is changing Down from 316 to 277. Lost 39 pounds so far.
OT
OT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down